Friday, February 7, 2020

How I Start Blogging

JP Abecilla

I started blogging with Blogger.com in August 2013 to support the organization I founded back in college: The Ambassadors' Club. I had written tips on how to study and prepare for an exam. The first two articles are entitled "Preparing for a Test" and "Smart Test Strategy." I also blogged about values and other personal development articles since it was the main focus of our student organization. Honestly, I never used the word "blog" at that time. I would not even care about using it, let alone brag about it. What I cared about was preparing resources that could help other students to learn and prepare themselves before graduating from university.

As a former Bible teacher and preacher, I combined academic and biblical principles in my blog articles at that time. As usual, I gained followers and enemies from different sides. Unfortunately, I had a lot of extracurricular activities back in college, so I was not also able to maintain my blog. I sang with the CNU Chorale. I argued with the CNU Debate Society. I was a member of CNU's English Fellows by default. I founded the Ambassadors' Club as I've talked about in the introduction. And, I worked with the CNU Supreme Student Government as a Senator and Chairman of the Committee on Grievance. Hence, the next update on my weblog was already in 2015, almost two years of inactivity. This time, the blogs were more focused on my religious and political views. And yes, I seldom update the articles as well.

When 2017 came, about two years gap again, I started blogging with WordPress.com. This time I wanted to focus more on empowering people by giving motivational tools to inspire them. I was also more inclined toward social media platforms and had a wider understanding of social interactions done on the internet. It was this year that I also started my job as a website content writer, which gave me the advantage to dig deeper into creating websites and online content. As a result, I upgraded my free WordPress account to Premium and bought my domain name www.jpabecillaph.com with GoDaddy.

As expected of me, I didn't still go on a single niche. My wide interests—writing, social media, motivation, public speaking, business, career, politics, and religion—are giving me a full range of topics to talk about. And yes, I give a unique title with my name on it: JP Abecilla - The Millennial Writer. The reason for this is the fact that people during this point in time are busy talking about the generation when technology is growing and changing our way of life. Millennials, or the Net Generation, are now transforming and innovating online and offline communication, business, thoughts, politics, and society at large. Since I'm a full-time writer, I connect the idea of being a millennial and the job that's feeding me every single day.

August 2019 marks my six years of blogging and one year for my paid domain. There are more things to learn about the blogosphere, especially the technical skills that go with it. I am now more excited to explore the world of blogging and give more relevant online content to my audience as a blogger and Filipino influencer.

To learn more about me, you can visit JP Abecilla - The Millennial Writer website and follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram or subscribe to my YouTube channel.





No comments:

Post a Comment